[meteorite-list] meteor-wrong (most likely)

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 03:50:42 2005

Stan,

Actually it is about that simple, Stan. You must, of course, have the
right equipment and
follow the proper protocols, but once that is done you can ease almost
anything into the
molten mixture in a crucible. I've been witness to, and creator of, some
pretty wild mixtures
back in the years when I did such things. But it never occured to me at
the time to try to
meld silicates into molten ferrous fluids. Seems that a gentle tumbling
action during the
cooling process might overcome the problem of difference in density
(specific gravity-
normally resulting in the silcates floating to the top in a molten
mixture) between the silicates
and iron, thereby (maybe) resulting in a homogenized mixture as seen in
Shirokovsky.

And yes, you've got to be careful, know what your doing, and think
before and as you're
doing an operation or procedure. I also have been witness to and cleaned
up after some fairly
spectacular blasts of molten metal. Each and every time one of those
happened, it was always
attributable to operator error and not to equipment failure (altho that
happens as well.).

Visit a modern foundry and be prepared to be amazed at what is (and can
be) done there. Most
welcome curious visitors and will attempt to answer all questions with
patient aplomb.

As for Shirokovsky, I have given much thought and wonderment as to how
it might have been
produced. I sure would love to have been there to have seen it done.
Maybe next time.

With time, money and experimentation, I believe almost any interested
and competent metallurgist
in a willing and patient foundry could produce something similar
(eventually).

Best regards,

Jerry

PS... Come on, Adam. Shirokovsky really does make a great meteorong
specimen. And, I agree, it
should be advertised and promoted as such, not as a true meteorite. I
can also appreciate your attitude
that dictates "No Fakes". But I personally think we can learn from them
as long as we keep the facts
in context and use them only as points of comparison in order to further
our ability to speculate on the
formation of natural compositions in their native environments. In other
words... we learn by doing
(providing we survive the doing.) Which brings to mind the sorry results
created by poor old Bubba
when he said, "Hold my beer and watch this!" (Natural selection at
work.) jw