[meteorite-list] Mars rover pollution

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 17:00:05 2005

Microbes are indeed sturdy little buggers but I doubt that
anyone would survive the trip to Mars.
It is true that they could survive at elevated temperatures
deep inside the Earth but that is still with water in it's fluid
state.
- During the voyage to Mars it will be subjected to vacuum
and high levels of background radiation. I have no idea
how well shielded some parts of the rovers were.
Optimally it could travel inside a pressurised container of
some kind.
- After the landing it would be subjected to a pretty hars
environment. The atmosphere is only one % of Earth levels
and the temperature is often at cryogenic temperatures.
There have actually been temperatures above the freezing
point of water but mostly not.
To add to the hardship Mars is very dry. Your buggers
would be freeze dried buggers.
If that isn't enough, the soil of Mars seems to be quite
corrosive whenenver you have the presens of water.
Any spores that are left on the surface will also be subjected
to UV-light and cosmic radiation. Actually the situation
is helped a bit by the lack of magnetic fields, there are
no radiation belts around Mars but the thin athmosphere
doesn't stop high energetic radiation from space.

Hopefully we don't put any buggers on the surface of
Mars, but I would be more concerned about places
with more aquatic environments, as Europe.

PS. I'm only a happy amateur, so feel free to point
out my obvious mistakes.

   :-)

/G?ran