[meteorite-list] Moldavite Update

From: mafer_at_imagineopals.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 21 14:09:04 2005

Greetings Doug and List

There may be a non-destructive test that isn't as costly as a microprobe
for tektites.

XRF was used by the Geology & Archaeology departments at WWU to check a
flake (known artifact) against normally prepard XRF samples for composition
similarities (for tracing the source outcropping of the material that flake
was made of). This proved to be a viable alternative to destructive testing
of artifacts, as long as exact results were not required and a relatively
flat surface could be presented to the XRF and the sample would fit into
the recepticle. It was thought that XRD would also work as well, given the
same restrictions.

Many universities would have these devices, as opposed to those that have
microprobes. And it would be a matter of setting up a database with known
trace elements/minerals and look for the same in the XRD or XRF results.

Just a thought.

Mark Ferguson