[meteorite-list] Moldavite Update

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 21 15:15:11 2005

Hi Doug and tektite fans,

Someone mentioned one time of putting tektites in a microwave oven for a
bit (on high) to try to determine if it is an Earth based specimen or a
possible tektite. This seems reasonable to me but I'm not a real tektite
buff. If it is a tektite then it shouldn't get hot as there is a lack of
moisture to vibrate and get hot where something Earth based which has
more moisture will become warm to the touch. I've tried this and there
seems to be a difference. Again this isn't my area of expertise. Perhaps
this glass can be tested inexpensively in this manor.

I think that the real danger here, with creating tektites are, buyers
will become weary and not buy specimens and the whole market will die.
This will ultimately kill the reason for fabricators to produce such
fakes. I guess the Chinese need the extra dollars to continue to build
up their military.

--AL Mitterling