AW: [meteorite-list] Opinion needed

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 21 18:04:35 2005

Dear Walter, dear Listees,

There's a major difference between the European and the US banking systems:
while you are used to checks and money orders we are used to bank wire
transfers. In fact, the last time I used a check or a money order must be
more than 10 years ago. All my banking business is done via wire transfers,
and in Europe it's usual and very safe to give away your account number. In
fact, I also received many payments from the US, and sent many payments to
the US via SWIFT wire transfer. Hey, this is MUCH faster and more safe than
any check in the world. Not long ago I payed an American dealer via SWIFT
wire tranfer, and he was more than amazed that the money had been deposited
on his account in less than 24 hours. This is usual in Europe, as I said
before, and payments withing Germany, for example, are sent in real time so
that you have access to your funds, within one or two days.

It's not that I want to convince you to give away your bank information.
It's just that I'm trying to explain a fundamental difference in our banking
systems. It's hard for us to get a check (in fact, my bank hates to issue
cashier checks, and always insists on doing wire transfers), and I guess the
same applies if you live in Finland (also part of the European Union). I
guess the seller you're dealing with just doesn't understand why you are
insisting on a check or a money order when it's much easier, faster, and
more safe to transfer the funds via wire transfer ;-))

My 2 Euro-Cents,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----