[meteorite-list] Troilite in stone meteorites?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 22 17:44:10 2005

Hello Steve, Rob, and List,

> I know that troilite is usually found in iron meteorites,
> but do stone meteorites have any troilite in them?

Here are some examples -- I'll concentrate on NWA meteorites
as many among us will probably have one or the other of these:

NWA 107, H3.7, abundant troilite
NWA 527, L5, troilite embedded in FeNi
NWA 869, L4?, troilite blebs
NWA 980, LL3.7, troilite blebs in matrix, chondrules with troilite seams
NWA 987, L3.8, rich in troilite
NWA 1096, LL3.6, troilite blebs and patches
NWA 2384, LL4, abundant, patchy troilite
NWA 3047, H6, finely disseminated troilite
etc.

Non-NWA chondrites rich in troilite (FeS):

Ghubara, L5, troilite-rich
Sahara 98175, LL3.5, troilite patches, troilite-armored chondrules
etc.

Best wishes,

Bernd