[meteorite-list] NPA 05-14-1860 New Concord Meteorite, Earthquake

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 23 12:41:06 2005

Paper: The Compiler
City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Date: Monday, May 14, 1860
Page: 1 (of 8)

     Remarkable Earthquake in Ohio. - The inhabitants of the counties of
Guernsey, Belmont and Harrison, in Eastern Ohio, were exceedingly excited
and terrified on Tuesday week by the severe shock of an earthquake which
lasted for thirty minutes. At Cambridge, Barnesville and other towns, the
citizens flocked together in the streets and fervently implored divine
protection. The shock was accompanied by a shower of supposed meteoric
stones, four of which weighing from forty to sixty pounds each fell on the
track of the Central Ohio Railroad, near Concord, imbedding themselves about
two feet in the earth.

(end)

Mark Note: This article refers to the New Concord meteorite. This meteorite
fell in Muskingum county, Ohio on May 1, 1860 at 12:45 p.m. More then
thirty pieces, 227 kg., of this L6 stone chondrite was recovered.
(Reference: Meteorites A to Z: Second Edition).

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now. You can also
use the NPA for e-mail filtering if desired.