[meteorite-list] RE: Meteorites ~ Deep-Freeze on Mars

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 24 01:14:57 2005

Hello, Al,

I've read both links - Thank you.
The way I understand the paper is that the depths of origin for the martian
meteorites have been determined, but not the location(s) on the planet as of
then:

>>"Michael Lipschutz, professor of chemistry, analyzed the trace element
>>content of the 12 meteorites that are known to have originated from Mars
>>and found that the rocky fragments came from six different regions below
>>the surface of the planet."<<

and

>>"Further studies may help pinpoint the location of each of the regions,
>>and could shed light on Mars' geological history, Lipschutz says."<<

The paper is a bit dated (1998), but your lead to Ron Baalke's link;

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/index.html

has at least a few recent articles that identify specific surface sources...
This is what I was after.

Much appreciated!

Pete