[meteorite-list] THE ODDS OF LIFE

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 26 10:18:52 2005

Dear List,
  The question of life on Mars has sometimes been
approached with the Saganism "Extraordinary claims
require extraordinary evidence", and this has been
used to justify "IF the biomarker can possibly in some
way be produced inorganically, then it is no
biomarker."
  Nonsense. The Copernican Principle states that we
are not special in the Universe, never were. If that
is true, then the claim that life exists/existed on
Mars is NOT an extraordinary claim. The claim that
life *only exists on Earth* is the extraordinary
claim.
  Biomarkers on Mars, though possibly by some weird
mechanism produced by inorganic processes, must, in
the absence of the demonstration of that inorganic
mechanism, must be held to be evidence of life there.
In other words, the onus should be the other way.
   A recent Icarus article discussed how the
measurement of isotopic composition of the methane on
Mars could further enhance its credibility as a
biomarker: Hari Nair et al "Isotopic Fractionation of
Methane in the Martian Atmosphere" Icarus 175 (2005)
32-35.
  If the isotopic fractionation of methane points to a
biogenic source, again, there will be people who say
there might be some unknown inorganic mechanism , or
known hypothetical mechanism, which makes it appear as
if there is biology. These people will using the same
argument as Simplicio in the book that introduced
Copernicus to the people, the Dialogo.
 Lethal as the Martian environment is to most forms of
life as we know it, it was not always that lethal and
life had plenty of time to adapt...the mechanism of
evolution is very robust in that respect.
 We cannot accept the dictum that we dare not
postulate the existence of life while some sort of
inorganic process for known biomarkers can be
imagined. Recognizing that while there are some things
that look like a duck and really aren't, and that all
science is tentative, the evidence of more Mars
biomarkers must be taken for what they seem to be.

Francis Graham