[meteorite-list] An Asteroid Headed Our Way (2004 MN4 - 99942Apophis)

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 26 14:04:14 2005

RE: should we try to deflect this asteroid, if it poses a threat?

Answer: Do you wear your seat belt?

If we have the technology, and not moving the asteroid is a bigger threat
than moving it, I say yes! I like living in an era where the Black Death in
city-killing plagues is a thing of the past, hot water and electric lights
are readily available, and we have the capability to keep a stadium sized
rock from plowing into the Earth. This is an instance where judicious use
of technology is mandated.

I have no desire to be wiped out, or even seriously inconvenienced by space
junk; I fully expect to be around in 2039, barring an accident of the type
where a seat belt wouldn't help.

Tracy Latimer