[meteorite-list] NPA 12-15-1946 Army-CIT Artificial Meteorites Test

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 27 12:52:03 2005

Paper: The Port Arthur News
City: Port Arthur, Texas
Date: Sunday, December 15, 1946
Page: 7 (of 32)

German Rocket To Launch Meteorites In Test on Tuesday

     PASADENA, Cal., Dec. 14 (UP). - The key to interplanetary travel may be
found in an experiment at White Sands, N.M., next Tuesday night when
scientists use a German V-2 rocket to launch man-made meteorites height
above the earth's surface.
     Dr. Fritz Zwicky, 48-year-old scientist from the California Institute
of Technology made the prediction before leaving to witness the experiment,
which he conceived.
    "In search for the key to space travel." the Belgian-born scientist
said, "We first throw a little something into the skies, then a little more,
then a shipload of instruments - and then ourselves.
     "This experiment is one of the very first steps in that process."
     Hundred of metal fragments will be exploded from the V-2's warhead at
almost 20,000 feet a second - four times the rocket's own speed. If any of
the synthetic meteorites reach the "velocity of escape," seven miles a
second, they may tear away from Earth's gravity into outer space.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.