[meteorite-list] WHAT IS A PLANET?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 31 09:59:18 2005

I'm happy enough for now keeping the definition loose. We have nine objects
that we call planets for historical reasons; I'd be cautious adding more
until we have a better understanding of their formation. I would lean away
from calling anything significantly off the ecliptic a planet, unless we
know that they it formed in the same process that produced the other
planets.

The reason this whole question comes up is because "planet" has a powerful
colloquial meaning quite independent of any possible scientific definition.
Perhaps the best solution is simply to remove "planet" from the table and
leave it to its traditional use. All we need is a formal definition for
bodies orbiting stars (possibly on a common plane), with enough mass to form
near-spherical surfaces (and maybe a few other criteria). Perhaps
"planetoid" could be used for that.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory