[meteorite-list] WD-40

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 10:44:01 2005

Mark,

Interesting, you have to bear in mind though that WD-40 is a low cost
mass produced product, I doubt it gets 'dried', and is certainly not
Anhydrous. Bearing in mind it is essentially a natural volatile organic
solvent with a few additives, (c9-c11+) i.e a petrochemical
(by)product, it will probably contain natural water (as does petroleum
in our cars and most other natural based fuels).

 To me the main problem with it is, WD-40 leaves a thin sticky residue,
and is only a very temporary protector, since it evaporates very
quickly.

There are far better oils/sprays around, such as gun oil, VCI's and
Lithium Grease (for Irons), all much more stable and well proven.

I have stopped my Campos rusting successfully, by using a thin wipe of
Lithium Grease.

Best,
Mark Ford