[meteorite-list] And now what?

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 20:27:26 2005

Hi list!

A couple days ago I got my biggest meteorite
shipment so far. Both in price, weight and numbers.
I bought a 13 kg, 300 pieces mixed NWA:s from Eric
Olson, a great seller. He sent me the packet in the
beginning of mars. After a month I expected it to
arrive but then I started to get nervous.

Finally it arrived after 10 weeks in transit.
(And I thought the mail wasn't shipped by sailboat
theese days, but I guess I was wrong.... :)

All together it was 300 uncut individuals in the
range of 10-700 grams ...and one
fossile!
A rough sorting with my eyes gives two major groups
and about 10-20 hard to place or different meteorites.
Not surprisingly what I think is NWA869 is the biggest
group.

So now I'm facing a dilemma. What now?
Is there any lab that is interested in classifying
theese meteorites? I would be more than happy to
give away type specimens from all if I only got
it classified but from what I've heard on the
list it's almost impossible to get the classification
done without paying a high fee when dealing with
ordinary NWA chondrites.
I realises that no lab would want to analyse the
smallest meteorites unless there is something
special with them.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to go throught this
lot and I will probably try to catalogue the whole
lot with sizes, weight and photos of them.

(Yeah, I have only collected meteorites for a year
now, how could you tell?)

     :-)

Regards, G?ran