[meteorite-list] ebay and the DMCA (was: A statement in regards to NWA 3133)

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 3 20:40:38 2005

Darren Garrison responded:

>>I meant to say that the website host will probably remove the
account. >>I have done this myself and they respect the DCMA. No, not
the ISPs, I
>>misspoke.

>Okay, that's somewhat more reasonable. I was under the impression
that >the supposedly lifted material was being used in Ebay auctions,
not on >a web site.

Ebay also has a strict policy against copyright infringement and
provides the form to submit a complaint to have an auction removed.
Perhaps those dealing with this issue can use this process to his/her
advantage.
Protecting Intellectual Property: Overview

<http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/programs-vero-ov.html>
The Notice of Claimed Infringement (NOCI) form:

<http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/NOCI1.pdf>
Digital Millennium Copyright Act

DMCA Registered Agent

Pursuant to ? 201.38 of the Interim Regulation, eBay's registered agent
is as follows:
Legal name and address: eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
Names doing business under: eBay
Designated Agent: Attn: eBay VeRO Program
Address of Agent: eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
Telephone: (408) 376-7400
Fax: (408) 516-8811
Email for notice: registeredagent_at_ebay.com

This information is provided to help owners of intellectual property
report potentially infringing items on eBay, under the notice
requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If you are a
Content Owner, please go to the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program for
details about reporting an infringing item.

If you are not a Rights Owner, but want to report an infringing item,
you may Contact Rules & Safety. If you do not represent the actual owner
of the underlying rights to the goods in question, we may not be able to
remove the listing based on your notice, but your report is important to
us. If possible, we will forward notices to the appropriate rights owner.