[meteorite-list] AD: Video Footage of our trip to Oman

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 5 03:04:14 2005

Hi,

    Street price on a Plextor 16X internal about $100, externals a little more
but how many USB 2.0 ports can you support (with beefed up power supply)?
Answer is: lots! You also need the software that allows simultaneous burning
of multiple DVD's at the same time.
    A $500 XP box plus stack of Plextors = cheap production DVD factory! Ten
16X burners all going at once is the same as turning out one disc at a time on a
160X burner if there were such a thing! The real bottleneck is the time spent
changing discs.
    Do your first 1500 copies for customers at a price that includes $1 apiece
to amortize the cost of the system, then take those extra 1500 bucks and
buy/build another setup and hire more nice Puerto Rican ladies to change discs
and double your volume. When your volume won't go up any more, cut your price
to compete more effectively.
    Hire an impoverished art and design student or two to run a front-end
editing and professional pre-production service (for an extra charge, of
course). But the truth is that there are loads of software programs that will
create a variety of professional looking edits of raw footage with very little
work on the part of the user.
    Business 101 in a nutshell.
    Of course, the truth is that one person trying to make a few hundred DVD's
on his own home machine has to do everything, fix everyhting, fiddle with
everything, and is hence not at first a necessarily efficient producer of short
run DVD's. About the time you get everything right and begin to be efficient --
it's all over.
    15 years ago or more, in the Early Paleolithic Age of computers, when I sold
my own software (Google "SKWare One"), I had a stack of floppy drives (slow)
chained together, wrote my own duplicating software, running on 16mhz computers
(slow!), bought mountains of factory sealed cartons of 500 each SONY black HD
floppies, hired 12-year-olds to change discs, and sat there happily labeling
discs and boxes with self-stick printed labels, boxing them, bagging them,
mailing them in batches, and drinking way too much coffee, and managed 800 to
1000 floppy discs a week. If you've ever tried mass-producing floppy discs
(Argh!), that's a lot.
    Things are much easier now.

Sterling