[meteorite-list] thin section waste?

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 8 22:38:49 2005

Hi G?ran and list. My problem; I have a meteorite in for classification, the
lab doing the work said it looks, only a guess, but, a Strange carbonaceous
either an R or CO. However, there appear to be C-pockets in the matrix
(unusual)." He has not received the thin section back, so it is only a
guess!!! The meteorite weighed 205 grams. I bought it as an unclassified
stone and was just looking for something to practice cutting and maybe sell
the slices on ebay. Not knowing it was possibly something different, I cut
away and made a bunch of really nice thin slices and an end cut. I still
have the main mass of 78 grams. I sent 21 grams off for classification, I
sent 4g part slice off to Superman, at least that is what I think of him.
: ) After the cut loss, the meteorite is disappearing.
  http://www.petrography.com wants you to send them a 10mm thick piece to
make a thin section. All my slices are 2mm to 4mm thick, so to get a 10mm
thick piece, I would have to cut it from the main mass and that would be a
third of it, for one thin section, the main mass is only 78 grams, that
would be 25 grams.
  Lets say it is a carbonaceous, 25 grams for one thin section, no way! I
wanted to know if I cut one of my 2mm slice into four pieces, if I could
make four thin sections out of that. I read a few websites that said you had
to start with a 10mm thick piece, so I figured that must be the way it had
to be done. : )

Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><