[meteorite-list] Michael's meteorite market trends

From: Martin H. <planetwhy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 9 14:43:19 2005

Michael,

In your commentary, you write:

"There is no question in my mind that there are
several known
individuals from whom I would never make a purchase ?
simply
because I refuse to put money in their pockets which
will subsidize
their continuing degradation of the field of
meteoritics. They needn't
be mentioned here, as everyone knows who these
scoundrels are."

Well Michael, if nobody mentions the names of the
"scoundrels" then how is a newby supposed to ever know
who to avoid? I know of many dealers over the years
who have pulled fast ones on customers. However, that
is also the nature of meteorite collecting.

There are dozens of classic stories in meteorite
history of deals gone bad, cheating, lying,
misrepresentation, etc., etc., etc. Bad blood flows
freely from wounds whenever people collect rare
objects (meteorites just have not yet attained the
status for the Hollywood movie makers to notice).
However, along with the danger is the challenge of the
hunt and the joy of success.

Of course you remember X, that certain a
well-established, glossy-catalog, world-traveler,
darling-of-the-press meteorite dealer who was busted
for stealing meteorites from a museum. This was hardly
X's first transgression, yet X still wanders among us
selling meteorites and supplying meteorites to other
dealers.

The learning curve with this hobby is rather steep
compared to many others. But, it seems, the rewards
for most of us make it worth it. I suspect the number
of auctions for misrepresented computer hardware on
ebay is a magnitude or two-or three above meteorites.
In fact, there there are so many unknowns with
meteorite collecting that it is probably half a hobby
of trusting others, and half of geology.

The issues Michael addresses are not new, but it seems
that it once again is time for this whale of a problem
to surface. I too took my shot at this issue in a
September 2002 article in the same online journal.

http://www.meteoritetimes.com/Back_Links/2002/September/Accretion_Desk.htm

Remember, as Michael wrote in the same issue as the
above link:

There is an ancient saying from China which is often
considered to be a veiled curse: "May you live in
interesting times."

http://www.meteoritetimes.com/Back_Links/2002/september/Michael%20Bloods%20Market%20Trends.htm

Cheers,

Martin