[meteorite-list] New CV3 NWA 3216

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 10 15:50:46 2005

I am pleased to announce my first CV3 meteorite, formally classified by the
Natural History Museum and has been given the name of
NWA 3216 - for the Greek scholars amongst you, t3216 is reagrds as a
perfect number" as 3x2x1=6 as well as 3+2+1=6....
There are not a lot of these numbers around, and as I have been working on a
distributive processing project called GIMPS for 9 years now discovering the
biggest prime numbers, which are sort of the exact opposite of a perfect
number, I feel this is most appropriate.

It is unusual in that it has Sodalite in it - Sodalite, containing volatile
elements such as Na and Cl usually are lost if heated above about 150 deg C
- so this makes it pretty interesting and aqueous!

I'd like to publically thank Drs Sara Russell, Mike Zolensky et al. for
helping me to make a very little mark and contribution to the science of
meteoritics.
I own the main mass of 44g, 20g is at the NHM as their "type specimen" and
it is beautiful to look at!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.harris580/nwa3216.jpg

Well, I know that most of you out there have done this a million times and
it's no big deal, but for me, it has done wonders for my self esteem!!!

thanks for your patience!

dave
IMCA #0092
Sec.BIMS