[meteorite-list] New CV3 NWA 3216 and soldalite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 10 16:25:19 2005

Hello Dave and List,

> I am pleased to announce my first CV3 meteorite

Sincere congratulations on your CV3 chondrite
from the vast deserts of Northwest Africa!

Best (carbonaceous)
wishes,

Bernd

> It is unusual in that it has sodalite in it-sodalite, containing
> volatile elements such as Na and Cl usually are lost if heated
> above about 150 deg C - so this makes it pretty interesting and
> aqueous!

Sodalite [(Na4(Si3Al3)O12Cl)] is one of those meteoritic minerals with
a cubic habit that helped me win Dirk Ross's contest a few months ago :-)

So far sodalite-rich inclusions had only been found in Allende and in
Study Butte (H3) Al-rich inclusions. But in Study Butte they consist of
a fine-grained intergrowth of Al-rich silicates which is only "close" to
sodalite in composition!

According to R. Hutchison, sodalite can also be found in the layered
rims around CAIs.