[meteorite-list] New CV3 NWA 3216

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 10 17:34:48 2005

Hola Dave, I checked your number as you encouraged - I think your are
precisely 3000 too high from being a perfect number (the kind that are "sort of the
exact opposite of prime numbers")! So due to this excess, your meteorite is
not a PERFECT NUMBER it is an ABUNDANT NUMBER according to the Greeks.
Everyone always thinks they have a perfect number of a meteorite and don't feel
bad if it usually ends up this way. As for the summing and multiplying of the
digits, you may have misread Euclid and even your number would not have been
very recognizable for this in greek numerals (hence the importance of using
divisor sets and not arbitrary notation). But if you want to be special your
3216 is special because 3216x1, 3216x2, 3216x3, 3216x4, 3216x5, 3216x6, all
contain the digit 6 in their product, 3216 is the smallest number with this
property, and six is a perfect number because all of its divisors multiplied
together equal it: 1x2x3=6. Six is the smallest perfect number and the
Greeks, Bible, etc. considered it magical for this reason. Not 3216 which is a
non-unique collection of random digits that just as well could have been 2316,
or 1326 or 1236 or 2136 or 3126 and do all those things you said. It is not
even a triangular number which you would have had to wait for NWA 3240 to
get...

You may have an abundant number, but I'm sure it will always be just perfect
to you! Congratulations.
Saludos, Doug

Dave H. calculated:

I am pleased to announce my first CV3 meteorite, formally classified by the
Natural History Museum and has been given the name of
NWA 3216 - for the Greek scholars amongst you, t3216 is reagrds as a
perfect number" as 3x2x1=6 as well as 3+2+1=6....
There are not a lot of these numbers around, and as I have been working on a
distributive processing project called GIMPS for 9 years now discovering the
biggest prime numbers, which are sort of the exact opposite of a perfect
number, I feel this is most appropriate.

It is unusual in that it has Sodalite in it - Sodalite, containing volatile
elements such as Na and Cl usually are lost if heated above about 150 deg C
- so this makes it pretty interesting and aqueous!

I'd like to publically thank Drs Sara Russell, Mike Zolensky et al. for
helping me to make a very little mark and contribution to the science of
meteoritics.
I own the main mass of 44g, 20g is at the NHM as their "type specimen" and
it is beautiful to look at!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.harris580/nwa3216.jpg

Well, I know that most of you out there have done this a million times and
it's no big deal, but for me, it has done wonders for my self esteem!!!