[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 13:20:07 2005

Yes Martin, Mike, Jeff

 who ever had some cut specimens of NWA 869 in his hands
has to confess, that it's a remarkable stone, very characteristical and
distinct from the desert average,
not only because it's fresher, but because it's a marvellous breccia with so
many features, excellent chondrules, sometimes basaltic and carbonaceous
fragments are found in,
polished it's one of the most beautiful stones a collector can get.
Among my clients is a collector, who completely switched to NWA 869 (bad for
me), doing nothing else than cutting and polishing NWA 869 stones since 2
years and it didn't became boring yet, as always something new could be
found.
Each dealer and experienced collector, although if he/she's not a fan of
desert stuff like me, will tell you, if you'll present them a bunch of cut
stones, which one is NWA 869 ad which one is not.
NWA 869 is ubiquitary, must been one of the largest, if not the largest
stone meteorite found ever.
Due to it's commonness the comercial value is extremely low at the moment, I
saw it offered on ebay from persons, who knew, that it was NWA 869, which
didn't tell the number in that auctions, because they brought out higher
results, when they told that it's unknown, because of it's unique beauty.
Hencefore for sure not a collective drawer for all unknown unclassified
Morroccain stones.
Here I think, it's one of the rare cases, where regarding the experience we
amateurs have a little lead over the professionalists ;-)
Thus a find of great importance, beautiful and interesting material, well
worth to do some analyses with.
Check the list archives, where some members posted links to their polished
slices, perhaps the links are still working (I remember Christian posted a
lot of pictures).

See you in Ensisheim&
Humble Buckleboo!