[meteorite-list] OT: New Smallest, Possibly Earth-like, Extra-Solar Plane...

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 14 16:22:46 2005

Hi,

    My example of a SuperEarth was based on taking the same materials (bulk
composition) as the Earth is made from and just piling more of them together. We have
no idea (and no way of knowing, for now) if the planetesimals of the Gliese 876 system
were the same mix as the Sol planetesimals, but we think the raw materials of solar
systems are generally similar.
    When I started suggesting the loss of some water so we could have continents and a
higher albedo so it would be cooler and so forth, you were being treated to an ugly
display of a rational mind crumbling under the pressures of "interstellar optimism,"
the desire to improve things just a touch.
    After all, planetary systems have unique histories. The Earth picked up this
whonking huge Moon to stabilize its axis and its climate though blind luck at
incredible odds. Mars got all these volariles (we think) but then got its atmosphere
stripped off and died. Venus really got a dirty deal; don't know what it was, but it
was nasty. Them's the breaks.
    It does make it look like there's more planetary bad luck than good luck, doesn't
it? I'm sure we all wish Europa well! And I have a soft spot in my head for Titan.
Always have had...
    The interstellar "optimists" tend to think of extra-solar worlds as similar to what
we know, but 50-60 years ago the interplanetary "optimists" tended to think of solar
worlds as more Earth-like than they turned out to be.
    As a teenager in the early Fifties, I devoured every scientific book on other
planets that there was, and the picture they presented was rosy compared to reality,
The very best book on Mars, "The Physics of the Planet Mars," by the great Gerald de
Vaucouleurs, was translated in English in 1953, a substantial tome filled with
equations, graphs, and tables. I special ordered it, and it was damned expensive.
    It presented a Mars with an atmospheric pressure of 100 to 200 millibars and 85
degree F. noonday temperatures. All the astronaut would have to do was slip on flight
mask with a 10 pound oxygen tank on his back and go for a stroll. He could leave his
leather jacket and white scarf back in the rocket because it's comfortable weather out
there, at least in the daytime.
    The notions of Venus were rosier still. It seems that the less you know, the
happier the picture you get.
    Here's the kind of paradox that arises from "happy" thinking. Venus gets twice as
much solar energy as the Earth. But the albedo (reflectivity for those of you
listening in) of Venus is more than twice that of the Earth (as we estimated the
Earth's albedo in those days), so Venus shouldn't be any warmer than the Earth (and a
few brave souls even suggested it was cooler, with big polar ice caps)
    In the 1940's, Rupert Wildt measured huge fat CO2 absorption features in the Venus
spectrum and concluded that Venus was a waterless inferno as hot as hell's hinges.
What he got for his suggestion was a lot of scowls and being ignored for a decade or
so. Other scientists (big names and I ain't saying who) measured H2O bands, They were
dead wrong about the water, because the water they were measuring was in the atmosphere
of Earth, not Venus! Who knew?
    So, Venus was maybe a little warm, very wet, always cloudy but bright, kind of like
the Permian had been on Earth. Venus was so remarkably like the Earth on paper that
everyone figured it was the twin it appeared to be. Probably had oxygen under those
clouds, Get out of the spaceship, wear good boots (it was bound to be muddy), and keep
an eye out for Venusian dinosaurs.
    I'm not talking about science fiction writers here; I'm talking about real
honest-to-gosh scientists. We had gotten over Lowell and his canals on Mars, but not
by much. Pickering was still talking about life on the Moon, for heaven's sake.
Although he had a great explanation for Martian canals: they were the migratory routes
of Martian herbivores, fertilized by their droppings.
    Tommy Gold had his own special heresy for Venus (doesn't he always?), an ocean of
hydrocarbons, an idea that would get picked up from Venus and moved to Titan for 30 or
40 years. Ain't there.
    You don't suppose wishful thinking has anything to do with the notion of a
planetary body with oceans of gasoline, do you? Nah... Sorry, no oceans of free
gasoline. You can leave the SUV at home, buddy.
    In some ways, science fiction writers could be more realistic than scientists in
those days. Hal Clement (Harry Stubbs) wrote two novels about life on a SuperJupiter
around 61 Cyngi which are better pieces of rigorous thinking about these really alien
worlds than any scientific work that had been done on the question. He made me think
about eutectic melts of ammonia and water in all its complexity until my head really
hurt. Of course, in those days, no one was doing scientific work on the question.
    Turns out the SuperJupiter around 61 Cyngi is really there! Along with scores of
other SuperJupiters around other stars.
    Even more fascinating is the possibility of other kinds of stars. We have always
assumed that the tiniest faint dink of an M9 star is as small as "stars" get. Less
mass and you get essentially non-luminous bodies: brown dwarves, very brown dwarves,
and black dwarves.
    But 2MASS (the Two Micron All Sky Survey) turned up huge numbers of very, very
faint stars never seen before, too faint to be seen in visible light. About twenty of
them have been assigned on their spectral characteristics to a new class of stars: the
Class L main sequence stars. About six are brown dwarves. Since 2MASS only sampled a
very small patch of sky chosen at random and since their low emission sets a limit to
how far away we could detect these faintest of all stellar objects, we can calculate
their abundance.
    The astounding answer is that they are more abundant than the M Class stars that we
used to think were the most abundant, so much so that the likelihood is that there are
about 2000 L Class main sequence stars within 50 light years of the Sun. Yes, that's
2000 neighboring stars to our Sun that we can't even see in visible light!
<http://astron.berkeley.edu/~basri/bdwarfs/sec4.htm>
<http://astron.berkeley.edu/~basri/bdwarfs/sec6.htm>
    That's an average of about one such star per 260 cubic light years. Hmmm... What's
the radius of a sphere with a volume of 260 cubic lightyears centered on our Sun? It's
a shade less than the distance to the "nearest star," good old alpha Centauri. I put
quotes around that phrase "nearest star" because, if 2MASS is right (and it seems to
be), there is a good chance there's an "invisible" star just as close or closer to the
Sun than that star we can see!
    Really big bright stars don't seem to have planets. They gobble up all the planet
food and blow off the rest; it too energetic an environment for a solar system to form
in. We used to think low-mass stars, like M class, wouldn't have planets because there
wasn't enough mass around, but the detections of extra-solar planets seem to indicate
that the formation of a less energetic star leaves plenty of material left over for
planets. Little Gliese 876 has two SuperJupiters!
    So, following that line of reasoning, why wouldn't the new L Class stars have lots
of planets too? Despite the fact that "happy" thinking would like alpha Centauri to
have planets because it's the closest, hence easiest, star to get to, no detection
attempt has ever found any hint of planets. A closer L Class main sequence star with
planets would genuinely be worth looking for!
    But trying to find a nearby "invisible" star is a truly daunting technical problem
concerning which no light bulbs have turned on in my brain... It's as dim in there as
the L dwarves themselves!

Sterling K. Webb