[meteorite-list] silica geel

From: Andreas Gren <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 11:22:12 2005

Dear List,dear J?rn,

J?rn wrote:
?My advice: always store known rusters under desiccant. Best is to use
silica geel with color indicator (cobalt) so you see when its time to change
it. If the storage box isn't really hermetic (.e.g plastic boxes), you have
to change and re-generate the desiccant quite often.?

Silica geel is fine to use for irons,I have every iron in my collection in a
single acryl box with silica geel,and Balistol oil on it,then I taped the
boxes and so I don?t have any problems with my irons and I have to change
the silica geel ones a year,because of the tape,without the tape it takes
one week till the indicator turns his colour.
Here in Germany there will no silica geel with cobalt indicator be produced
any more, because Cobalt is not so nice to Your health but there is a new
one with an organic indicator,perhaps the safer way to Your
healt.Anyway,never bring the Iron in direct contact with the silica geel ,I
don?t know why ,but it makes ugly remarks on the irons.

Have a nice time and see much of You in Ensisheim.
Andreas Gren