[meteorite-list] What is It?

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 23:01:30 2005

Slow down Dave,

I didn't say it is a winner; I just don't know what
it is. I can't seem to get the picture back up (I
think the auction has been cancelled), but it looked
to me like all the phases were very coarsely
crystalline. In this case, metal or no metal, it
couldn't be a basalt (which is by definition aphanitic
except for possible phenocrysts).

With slower crystallization, you can get gabbros and
other coarsely crystalline ultramafics with segregated
sulfides, but once again, the rapid crystallization
leading to basalt formation has little chance to
segregate anything beyond micro-blebs of sulfide.

I can't believe it could be a basalt.

Norm
(http://tektitesource.com)
--- Dave Freeman mjwy <dfreeman_at_fascination.com>