[meteorite-list] AD; pre-classification sale, NWA 2906

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 16 19:19:28 2005

Hello List, I am bored so I thought I would try something new, a
pre-classification (bid) sale! This meteorite is at NAU getting classified
as you read this.
   It has been given the name NWA 2906 and this is the ONLY FULL SLICE in
existence so if you like full slices, this is your only chance to have one
from this new meteorite. The TKW of NWA 2906 was 194 grams. The rest of
this meteorite is in part slices and the main mass. This was purchased in
Rissani, Morocco, so unless nwa 869 is from Rissani, they should not be
paired, or that is one big strewn field! : ) I sent a part slice to Bernd
Pauli, the "human book" and he was nice enough to write this up.

"NWA 2906, L4, regolith breccia with an assortment of clasts
(7.6-gram slice from Tom)

According to a preliminary analysis by Ted Bunch from NAU, NWA 2906 might
be an L4 asteroidal regolith breccia. The cut and polished slice shows an
assortment of different clasts, chondrules, and chondrule fragments. It is
fairly rich in troilite (FeS) and nickel-iron (FeNi) metal, several FeNi
blebs harbor troilite islands. The following gamut of chondrule types have
been observed in NWA 2906:

barred olivine chondrules (BO), porphyritic olivine pyroxene chondrules
(POP), armored chondrules, radiating pyroxene chondrules (RP), and a few
polysomatic BO chondrules. While several chondrules still have well-defined
rims, others show poorly delineated rims which would be indicative of an
L4-5
or L5 chondrite.

The degree of recrystallization of the matrix would also point to an L5
classi-
fication. Some small matrix areas are shock-darkened and criss-crossed by
black,
glossy melt veinlets. *One totally amorphous, kidney-shaped, grayish
inclusion
is probably an achondritic xenolith."*

*my note, this slice does not have this inclusion.* if you want a part slice
with this inclusion, we can talk. : )

For all the non ebayers, we will try the old; send me your maximum bid up
to Monday night (6/20) and the highest bid gets it. : ) We will talk about
how you want it shipped and determine the actual shipping costs. : )

This full slice is 11.5g's but is only about 2mm thick. It measures about
2.5 inches X 1 1/4 inches and is polished on both sides.

Cut real thin for maximum surface;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/peregrineflier/DSCN1362.jpg

front;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/peregrineflier/DSCN1363.jpg