[meteorite-list] SOLAR SAIL LAUNCHES, BUT...

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 21 21:28:31 2005

Hi,

    12 minutes ago (at the moment I started to type this), the Times
(London, that is) reported the apparent failure of the Russian booster to
put the Cosmos 1 Solar Sail spacecraft into orbit.
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1664374,00.html>
    I quote: "The launch of Cosmos 1 was part of a joint Russian-American
attempt at the first controlled flight using a solar sail. An official in
Russia?s Northern Fleet told the RIA-Novosti news agency that the engine
had failed 83 seconds after the launch from a submerged Russian
submarine."
    The Russians are searching for the re-entered remains which, if orbit
was not achieved, should be down somewhere by now.
    The concept was a project of the late Carl Sagan, and was largely
financed by his widow and The Planetary Society, which he co-founded. Of
course, since I was in a disappointed mood already, I was particularly
annoyed by the fact that all the major US news sources (which I've popping
for updates) referred to Carl Sagan as "the late science fiction writer"!
    Only the CBC (Canada) correctly identified him as the late "famous
astromer." Sort of a sad commentary all on its own.

Sterling K. Webb