[meteorite-list] Ebay Meteorite Right!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 22 18:08:05 2005

Dear List,

I saw an untested 40 pound California meteorite offered on eBay by a non
meteorite dealer and took a chance on it. I carefully checked out the story
behind it, checked the seller's credentials who has a perfect rating and
asked several questions in order to try and debunk the story. I could not
find a single hole in the story and the suspected meteorite looked too good
to walk away from. Thousands of visitors to the Ransburg Rockshop had a
chance at it but felt the asking price was too high so it sat for nearly
four decades undiscovered until a dealer who sells American collectibles
laid eyes on it.

Usually there is a 99% chance that some untested rock offered by a non
meteorite dealer on eBay will turn out to be anything but a meteorite. I
learned quickly in the 1990s that purchasing untested meteorites online was
a waste of time. Like a lot of newbies, I purchased many meteoritewrongs at
first hoping to get a lucky strike. Well, finally one of these risks paid
off.

I sent the entire stone to the University of Washington last week and
received the test results today, microprobe results confirmed that it is a
meteorite! I was 90% sure it was a meteorite before submitting it but have
been fooled before. My 10% doubt came from knowing that there was an
ordinance range somewhat nearby. I have seen bomb fragments and other iron
implements look very close to actual iron meteorites. I know of several
dealers who have been fooled by these in the past.

Fortunately, it appears to be very stable with no flaking. Underneath the
weathering there is a nice black magnetite coating without any iron shale.
I think this meteorite will clean up beautifully. The University of
Washington set up a jig in the machine shop for a few small cuts in an
unnoticeable area this Friday preserving the rest of the object for display.
We will then etch one surface and measure the bandwidth. I will provide
pictures later on.

I guess it would be a good idea to stop at some of these out of the way rock
shops and take a look. Who knows what treasure may be hidden in one of
them?

Take Care,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection