[meteorite-list] RE: [off topic] Fwd: To all interested Parties

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 23 12:00:22 2005

>Not more than a few thousand times. And they were all bad people.
Bad! >Bad! They hated our
>freedom!

No, in civilized countries they are supposed to be innocent until they
have had a fair trial, fair treatment, and guilt has been proven.
Trouble is, to date almost none of the inmates of Guantanamo has had any
trial (or in most cases not even access to lawyers etc). What went on in
Oman is actually not all that much different to Guantanamo (which is
just the public face of many such sites), so I don't think anyone is
particularly in the moral high ground here...

It's time people realized that other countries do things very
differently, Oman is not America. When you go to these places, these
are the risks you must take.

To me what makes the world such an exciting place is the very fact that
everywhere is different, and it's about time certain countries stopped
forcefully imposing their cultures on everyone else...but ho hum, just
glad they all got home safely.

Best
Mark