[meteorite-list] RE: [off topic] Fwd: To all interested Parties

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 23 12:10:35 2005

How does collecting meteorites in the Omani desert compare to the killing
of thousands of human beings? You are compring apples to oranges.

To me, the solution is simple. If the Oman government wants to control or
curtail the collection and export of meteorites from their country all they
have to do is share that information on any of several forums (like this
list) that are available. That way, meteorite hunters from around the
world would know what the official position is on the issue. Why do you
think it is that they allowed tons of meteorites to clear Customs prior to
this incident? Maybe a few strategically placed signs (in several
languages) posted in the airports and near the customs areas stating that
collection and exportation of meteorites is forbidden would be helpful.

Best,
JKGwilliam