[meteorite-list] RE: [off topic] Fwd: To all interested Parties

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 23 12:36:02 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:52:14 -0600, Dave Freeman mjwy <dfreeman_at_fascination.com> wrote:

>Nations/groups blowing up thousands is not the same as foreign tourists
>collecting meteorites, sorry, but I don't buy your poor connection.

Ah, but his point (and my response) was about the US government picking up thousands of individuals
in the US and detaining them without charge for the crime of Existing While Arabic in the US.
Almost all of them were released later because they had done nothing wrong-- but only after being
detained longer than the people in Oman. Was it a real attempt to catch "bad guys"? Yes. Was it
unfair to the vast majority of innocent people picked up? No. Does that mean that the US should be
on a "do not visit" list because of that? That's up to the individual to decide. But his point was
oranges and oranges.