[meteorite-list] RE: [off topic] Fwd: To all interested Parties

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 23 15:03:59 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:31:03 +0200, "Martin Altmann" <Altmann_at_Meteorite-Martin.de> wrote:

>I guess that John knew before, that meteorites are objects of scientific and
>monetary value and come on - how naive must one be not to suppose, that
>collecting such objects in another country and to take them home from there,
>might be not a delicate issue?

I'm sure that the Omani government probably wouldn't want anything of significant value taken by
tourists. If you find, say, quartz crystals and chunks of kimberlite I'm sure you'd be welcome to
keep them. But if you found quartz crystals entwined with gold and kimberlite studded with diamonds
I'm sure that they would insist on keeping those themselves. They probably only recently realized
that meteorites are much closer to the second group than the first.