[meteorite-list] There IS an Earth Trojan Asteroid (probably)!

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 24 20:28:43 2005

Hi,

In 1980, there was a search down to magnitude 14
that turned up nothing at the Earth's Trojan points.

But there ARE Earth Trojans, or at least candidate
objects. It takes a long series of observations to
verify a true Trojan orbit, and they're doing that.
In a search that is ongoing (slowly, one gathers) and
that will scan 9 square degrees down to magnitude 22,
there are good candidate objects. They "slew" the
telescope at the Earth Trojan rate, stars are sstreak,
regular asteroids are also streaks, but a Trojan is
pretty much a dot or oval.

photos of Earth Trojan candidates:
<http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/etrojans/etrojans.html>

3753 Cruithne and several other asteroids share the Earth's
orbit but are not Trojans, but complicated "horseshoes":
<http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/3753/3753.html>

There's no such thing as Googling enough...

Sterling K. Webb