[meteorite-list] There IS an Earth Trojan Asteroid (probably)!

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 27 18:56:11 2005

Ron,

    I agree with you that it is a very poor choice of word indeed. "Share" implies all
those things you mention that Cruithne is emphatically NOT.

    I would not have chosen it myself by any means.

    But the original post was a very short one (unusual for me) that introduced their
URL (which is a kind of quotation of the whole) with one short sentence using their
choice of word but adding my own caveats:

    '3753 Cruithne and several other asteroids
    share the Earth's orbit but are not Trojans,
    but complicated "horseshoes."'

    That's all that I said. I felt that since I was presenting someone else's entire
content and nothing of my own, I would not alter their choice of terms.

    They use the word "share" repeatedly on that page, and many sources that cite them
use their term also. Also, the total content of the page explains the reality of the
situation in great length and detail.

    I did not think it was journalistically or academically correct to alter the
language of their presentation of their own work, just as I am sure you would not want
me to alter your words according to my notions, either.

    Even so, I felt compelled to a minor clarification anyway, as it was potentially
very confusing. I specifically said it was not a Trojan, you'll notice.

    I figured they'd take the heat for it... Not me. It was the other guy. He started
it. I never said it. The dog ate my vocabulary.

    You can stomp all over me for my own words, but it wasn't me, buddy!

    It was the other guy! He done it, officer!

Sterling K. Webb