[meteorite-list] Some Images of the Randsburg California Iron

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 27 20:42:42 2005

Dear List,

For those who are interested, I finally got around to cutting the 40 pound
iron meteorite that sat in the Randsburg Rock Shop for nearly four decades
after being found in the Little Lake area lava beds. We took two cuts before
it completely detoothed two bandsaw blades. The blades become immediately
worthless when they hit a weird somewhat symmetrical silicated area. You can
see the large odd crystal shaped silicated area in the second image. You
can also see where it pushed the band aside and created a groove. I have
since received another blade I ordered last week in hopes of finishing the
third and final cut.

Image of meteorite being cut:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RandsburgCut.jpg

Close-up showing silicated area:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RandsburgCutCloseup.jpg

An overly done first etch showing a course pattern:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RandsburgEtch.jpg

My guess is that this will be another coarse octahedrite, possibly a IAB
with Winonaite inclusions. The next step will be to check out the silicate
inclusion(s) on a Microprobe. The one I examined looks exactly like a
Winonaite but that will not explain its crystalline shape or why the blades
were destroyed.

I will update as more research is completed,
Take Care,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock