[meteorite-list] Canyon Diablo

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 14:20:24 2005

Walter,
It isn't well known, but there were some "hidden caches" in various shops
and homes in Northern Arizona. Several years ago, I talked with a person
in the Kingman area who reportedly had literally tons of Canyon Diablo
meteorites in storage. Although I never got him to disclose the actual
weight of what he was sitting on, several contacts did tell me that he had
"a whole room full." Someone else told me they saw several boxes of rusty
iron meteorites in the back room of a rock shop along Interstate 40 (Route
66) back in the 1980s. This could be the same place or it could be two
different locations.

I'm sure that there is a lot of CD material stashed away throughout
Arizona. Five or so years ago, I was visiting the father of an old friend
of mine and saw a picture of him (as a young boy) with a big iron meteorite
that I estimated to weigh 70-80 lbs. This 85 year old fellow told me how
he and his father had driven to Meteor Crater back in the 1930s and
returned home to Globe (Arizona) with the big iron in the back of their
Model T. It sat on the front porch of their house for a couple of decades
until the family moved. No one seems to remember where it is now, but they
thought it was left on the porch because it was too heavy to move to
Phoenix. When I asked him why he and his father had made such a long,
rough trip (on mostly dirt or gravel roads) he told me it was a popular
thing for the copper miners in the Globe/Miami/Superior area to do for
recreation!

There is also the possibility that some meteorite hunters are still working
in the strewn field even though it is now illegal.

Best,

JKGwilliam