[meteorite-list] NPA 02-17-1930, Brilliant Star Explodes....Paragould Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:52 2005

Paper: The Port Arthur News
City: Port Arthur, Texas
Date: Monday, February 17, 1930
Page: 1 (of 12)

METEOR FALLS
Brilliant Star Explodes Near St. Louis

     ST. LOUIS, Feb. 17 (AP). - Observation of a brilliant meteor, which
fell in the vicinity of Penrose park here at 4:30 o'clock this morning, was
reported by two police detectives. Their inquiries near the park failed to
disclose any traces of the meteor.

(end)

     POPLAR BLUFF, Mo., Feb. 17. (AP) - A peculiar atmospheric condition was
reported by man persons within a 50-mile radius of Popular Bluff about 4
o'clock this morning. A bright light formed in the sky, and completely
lighted the landscape for miles. The light lasted about ten seconds, when
an explosion occurred, presumably high in the air. Buildings were shaken by
the blast. It was general supposed the condition was caused by a falling
meteor.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.