[meteorite-list] NPA 09-15-1886 Possible Bradford Woods Fall article?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:53 2005

Paper: Indiana Weekly Messenger
City: Indiana, Pennsylvania
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 1886
Page: 3 (of 4)

     LAST Friday evening, about 8 o'clock, a large meteor passed over Homer
City. The light reflected from the terrestial visitor was so brilliant that
the smallest print could be read on the streets. While yet in full view of
the observers the meteor exploded and the flying fragments were distinctly
visible and the noise following the explosion seemed as loud as a cannon.

(end)

Possible...or maybe...likely Bradford Woods meteorite fall article. This
meteorite fell in Sept. 1886, on an unknown date in Allegheny County,
Pennsylvania.

Catalogue of Meteorites reads, "A mass 762g fell on the Deutihl property,
2.5 miles SW of Bradford Woods."

Bradford Woods and Homer City are 46 miles (76 km) apart.

No other meteor reports were found in the Indiana Weekly Messenger, a
Pennsylvania newspaper, that were for a Pennsylvania meteor during a search
of Sept. 1886 by me.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.