[meteorite-list] Classification results

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:55 2005

> Hey list, here is my classification results,
> anyone care to tell me what it means? : )

Hello Tom and List,

Your NWA meteorite (NWA 2691) was purchased in 2004.
It has a total known weight of 31 grams.
It is one piece (not many stones).
It is an L5 chondrite.
Shock stage is S2 (weakly shocked).
Weathering grade is W2 (Moderate oxidation of metal).

Fayalite (iron content of olivine is 24.0 = diagnostic
value for L4, L5, L6 chondrites, usually L6).

Ferrosilite (iron content of pyroxene is 20.8 = diagnostic
value for L4, L5, L6 chondrites, usually L6).

Your piece was purchased in Erfoud.

A type specimen weighing 6.6 grams is at Northern
Arizona University (that's about 20% of your meteorite

Sincere congratulations
on having it classified!

Bernd