[meteorite-list] News Orleans Meteorite fragments on ebay

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:55 2005

Hello list,

As other list members noted, the New Orleans meteorite samples being sold on
ebay are authentic. The following quote is from my collection page and was
added with Falster's premission.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colneworleans.html

UNO's, Department of Geology and Geophysics, Al Falster, felt some fragments
were found were "a bit too far away" from the impact site (Fausset roof)
and wrote, "I believe it may have been a piece that already separated in
flight shortly before impact and disintegrated on the street."

I would be cautious to support the multiple meteorite theory. I think it
was likely a single stone. The meteorite fragment disintegrated because of
the fragile nature of the meteorite, rather then incoming speed.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com