[meteorite-list] What are the latest Iron Falls?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:56 2005

     Hi, All,

         Meteoritic irons have been a prized resource for humans for
     thousands of years. The Sumerian word for iron is literally "Star
     Metal." The Sumerians precede the mining and forging of iron (the
     Hittites about 1300 BC) by 3000 years, so the only source they could
     have known about is meteorites.
         At least one Egyptian pharaoh was buried with a meteoritic iron
     knife and it's unlikely he bought on eBay..
         Here in Illinois USA, one of the NHM Catalog meteorite finds are
     two small beads carefully worked out of meteoritic iron and which were
     found in a Mound Builder tomb (Dickinson?).
         About four years ago I posted to the List a reference to a paper
     by a group of archaeologists at one of Canada's national museums,
     documenting the distribution of pre-Columbian iron artifacts all
     across the ancient Arctic. Analysis of the material used showed that
     all of them came from the great Greenland irons (Cape York). The age
     of the sites shows that the Greenland irons were being used for tools
     as early as 1000 BC and the tools from it were spread out over 1000
     miles away!
         There is no doubt that the NWA area was "cleaned out" of all the
     iron meteorites that could be found thousands of years ago. Of
     course, they missed a few. But if the NWA meteorites reflected the
     "normal" distribution of irons and stones, there would be many, many
     more irons.
         One thing to bear in mind is that the present condition of north
     Africa and the Saharan region is a fairly recent development. In
     Roman times, these lands were a critical region of the Empire, a
     "breadbasket" whose agricultural surplus fed millions all around the
     Mediterranean. Roman "plantations" extended a hundred miles or more
     into what is now desert where agriculture is vertually impossible in
     the present day.
         In the first millennium BC, great empires flourished in regions
     now completely desert -- Carthage in the west and Cyrene in the east.
     The descriptions of the lands they occupied are of temperate and well
     watered locales that now do not exist.
         The Romans became the great power in the Mediterranean by
     conquering Carthage (2nd century BC) and lost that power when north
     Africa was seized by the Vandals in the 5th century AD. You know the
     Vandals didn't bother to conquer north Africa because it was a land of
     sand! Practical, those Vandals.
         In still earlier times (3 to 8 thousand years ago), north Africa
     was a well watered grassland that was slowly drying out. French
     geologists (in the 1920's and 30's) have spent a great deal of effort
     tracing the old river courses in the Sahara back into the last
     glaciation. There's a huge amount of documentation on these.
     Obviously, these rivers didn't run through a sand desert.
         That's because the sand wasn't there until geologically recent
     times. The sand is produced by wind erosion in the upland region in
     the heart of the Sahara. Sand production is a feedback accelerated
     process in which sand erosion produces vastly more sand which produces
     vastly more erosion... You get the picture. The process is still going
     on. Sub-Saharan southern lands lose a few miles a year of their own
     productive land to the outflow of Saharan sand.
         The former rivers have retreated into sub-surface aquifers, but
     their connectivity and continuity is demonstrated by tracing the
     distribution of unique species of underground fish recovered from
     ancient very deep wells. Interestingly enough, the buried rivers of
     the eastern Sahara appear to be connected (or have been connected) to
     a similar network of buried rivers in the Middle East! They share the
     same unique species.
         There is plentiful evidence that the present north African deserts
     had a substantial population in ancient times. There are rock
     carvings galore, showing scenes of big game hunting and tribal life in
     places hundreds of miles from any settled human habitation today.
         After millennia of collecting, there are still plentiful human
     stone artifacts to be found everywhere in the "desert," in far greater
     amounts than meteorites! And Dean Bessey sells them, too! I'm
     certain irons were continuously collected and shipped off into Roman
     times and beyond, just as meteorites are today.
         We need to bear in mind these short term geological changes when
     trying to establish weathering ages for "desert" meteorites. For
     example, many of the "dry lakes" in the western US were wet lakes
     10,000 years ago. In fact, there was a great lake, Lake Lahontan, in
     the inter-mountain basin back then, which was really a great lake,
     covering 8,000 square miles and up to 800 feet deep.
     <http://www.answers.com/topic/lake-lahontan>
         So, an NWA iron is a lucky find.

     Sterling Webb