[meteorite-list] Oman trip story

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:56 2005

One more "thank you!", Eric.

When we reflect that just a few short years ago,
before Nininger began his audacious quest, such a
story was unthinkable. Now we can sort through boxes
of meteorites at absurddly low prices, but shouldn't
forget that every single bit has a story behind it,
the thrilling exhiliaration of a discovery
moment---This is all part of the magic of the rock.

What a fine addition to a piece to have such a story!
All finders should consider it their sacred obligation
to record the details of the moment when human eyes
first saw and recognized the space traveler. The
story should go with the specimen like a label. We
all love Nininger pieces because we have read his
story and can read a little between the lines whenever
one bears his label. To me, Nantan is vastly enhanced
by the ancient description of its fall.

It is sad when we hold a marvelous stone in our hands
and can't recite the story behind it! Often (with
NWA's) there's nothing more to be had. But there
should NEVER be a piece from the world that can read
and understand this commentary that lacks a detailed
written story!

Enough for tonight-- Thanks again for doing it right
Eric.

Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)