[meteorite-list] Bright Streak of Light in Sky ReportedfromSouthern Oregon to Seattle

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:56 2005

Color isn't a real good indicator of fireball composition. In most cases the
primary color components are products of atmospheric ionization, not
ionization of meteoroid material. Combine this with the fact that witnesses
usually report seeing different colors for the same event, and I don't think
you can learn much.

There are exceptions, of course, but unless you have independent
spectroscopic data you probably wouldn't want to make any assumptions (or
even wild guesses) about composition based on color alone.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com