[meteorite-list] Something serious

From: Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:57 2005

I have a serious concern to discuss here. It is nothing new, but rather
annoying.
I have been home from Oman for all of 5 days, 4 of them in bed sick. I have
received 3 phone calls now, and been told by 3 different people that
"the Germans" are really mad at me in Oman.
It seems that "the Germans" told someone that I called the Omani police on
them and got them into trouble.
"The Germans" also found my campsite, "covered in trash and feces" (exact
quote from three people here).

Let's get to the point here. Someone, and I am sure I know who, seems to
live their life for spreading stupid rumors and gossiping trash about me and
others. I find this to be really juvenile and pathetic.

Of course, "the Germans" were unnamed people.
I asked the callers a few logical questions and they realized just how dumb
such a comment is.
I mean really, I am in Oman hunting meteorites, so I would go talk to the
police and get someone in trouble for hunting meteorites? I know all of the
Germans who go to Oman, get along well with all of them, have never seen any
of them in Oman etc etc etc.
Next, these "the Germans" found my dirty campsite?
That's nice, I have got to be the only meteoritehunter in the world who
stops and picks up virtually every piece of garbage in the Oman desert that
I drive upon. 1st, it is good to remove it, since garbage often looks like
meteorites from a distance, 2nd, I hate garbage blowing around, driving in
Oman is like driving the rovers on the moon, and the illusion is destroyed
when you pass by a plastic bottle or sardine can. 3rd, I like big campfires,
and we have very limited wood to burn so the garbage helps pump up the fire
while cleaning the desert.
Anyone who has hunted in Oman knows that 20 times a day you get your heart
pumping only to circle a tin can. I hate that, so I am not sure what would
possess me to ever add to that misery. As I have hunted in Oman with
numerous people, perhaps they can all attest to how fanatical I am about
trash.
    Now, I would like to know how "the Germans" found my campsite (I never
stay in the same place twice) and how they would know it was mine? Please
enlighten me.
      I would also like to know why my campsite would be covered in feces?
Anyone who has ever camped should know how to use the toilet in the
outdoors, we have plenty of shovels and no shortage of sand. I don't know
about the person who is spreading that driveling lie, but I don't generally
crap where I sleep, so I am not sure why any campsite would be covered in
feces, much less mine.

Now, how do they identify the campsite as mine? I hope the person has the
courage to explain this here, as they seem to have the courage to spread it
around. What, do I leave my business cards in the sand? Luggage left there?
DNA or taste tests on the feces they found? What leads these nameless "the
Germans" to know a campsite is mine?

Let me tell you about my campsites in the desert. I put up my tent, set up
my cookstove, build a campfire, and that is about it. The fires are made
with lumber (usually with nails) that we scavenge long before we get near
the desert. Since there are nails, and since we are driving vehicles 50 and
60 kilometers from the nearest road, punctured tires are a real nightmare,
so we bury our fire deep before we leave the site. When I leave a campsite,
there is not a trace to be found that we were there other than tire tracks.

I am really annoyed to be harassed and have stupid rumors that are even
dumber than most things you would expect from 10 year old kids being spread
about me to my customers, scientists, and other dealers.

If you are dumb enough to believe that sort of ilk without proof, then you
are pretty darn gullible and I have some great oceanfront property in
Arizona to sell you.

To the person who enjoys spreading this sort of crap, I know you have no
life, and you are jealous of my adventures and success around the world, but
there is a solution. GET A LIFE.

I mean, this is really the edge of pathetic having to post about feces and
dirty campsites and police, but when I get three phone calls from three
different people, it is clear that it needs to be addressed.

Michael Farmer