[meteorite-list] loupes'

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:58 2005

Hi Steve & list,

I'd recommend that you buy a nice hand lens. A jeweler's loupe is
inappropriate and will be more of a hindrance than a help. On eBay they
call them loupes, but most of the ones listed are really hand lenses.
Get the kind that fold into themselves.

True loupes are like the ones here (avoid them).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45085&item=4976367463&rd=1

I'd recommend a 10x triplet (you may want to get a 20x also - though I
don't use those as often). Rather than using eBay, try a jeweler or
jewelry supply store (or gold prospecting shop/metal detector shop if
you have one in Chicago). The reason I say this is that it's best to
try as many as you can so you can pick a good one. The thing to look
for is a focused image across the entire field of view. Just pick a
mole or scab on your hand and move the hand lens around so you see the
mark through the entire lens. A cheap hand lenses will have a different
focus at different parts of the lens (pretty annoying but better than
nothing). All you get is a central portion that is in focus and the
entire field of view is a waste... A good one will keep the object at
the same focus across most of the field (there usually is a little
fuzziness at the extreme edge). Another thing to look for is
distortion, but most distortion is subtle and I doubt it will bother
you. If you buy it on eBay, and it's not a good one, it will be a real
pain to exchange it (if the seller will let you). There's nothing like
trying 10 or 20 units and picking the best of the lot.

If you do try eBay, be sure to check as many sellers as possible - there
should be a few of them that discuss the above features I've mentioned.
Here's a good one I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34084&item=4975393886&rd=1

You can probably find a better deal shopping around. Another thing to
pick up is a piece of durable string so you can hang it around your
neck. That's what I've done with mine (plus I have a nice ring-shaped
magnet on it also).

Mark