[meteorite-list] Crater maker

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:59 2005

A good rule of thumb is that craters are roughly ten times larger than the
impactor that created them. There is, of course, a wide range of variability
here, depending on velocity and other factors.

Small craters are very uncommon on the Earth because it is so difficult for
small objects to arrive at the surface with hypersonic velocity. Most such
objects break up before reaching the ground.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com