[meteorite-list] FW: Lunar origin of tektites

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 25 21:29:59 2005

I can't see that. If the meteorite just skips off and does not enter our
atmosphere why would material ablating off it's surface have enough energy
and angle of attack to be able to do so? I picture any ablating material as
blobs dropping off behind the stone and probably vaporizing.

But,.... Could this be ablated material from a meteorite that did make it to
earth? I would guess no. I see this thin layer of glass vaporizing as it
is created. I don't think the physics are there to support this material
melting off a high velocity stone and then combining into a secondary shape
before falling to earth.

Interesting thoughts for a Friday night. Thanks for sparking them

Cheers,

tett
Owen Sound, Ontario