[meteorite-list] FW: Lunar origin of tektites

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 25 22:59:57 2005

Hi Rob,Doug and list,

One other overlooked proof of an Earth impact for generating Tektites is
that some have air bubbles in them. I believe those have been carefully
studied to find out what the content of the air is in those tektites.
What has been found is they sample the Earth's atmosphere and don't
contain a vacuum like one would expect from a lunar strike.

Also Ries Crater in Germany and the moldavites have been linked fairly
successful. It doesn't mean we aren't seeing two dynamic occurrences for
generating tektites but I certainly have always favored the Earth impact
idea.

I think where people/researchers go wrong is when they use old outdated
materials rather than starting from scratch to try to verify them.
Anyone interested in the old arguments can search the archives of the
meteorite list and will find the discussion there. I believe that Steve
Schooner and another list member discussed/argued the debate well enough
that people can make up their minds from that discussion a while back
now. Also the debate was printed in Meteorite Magazine. Best!

--AL Mitterling