[meteorite-list] Wilcox Playa 003 and 005 Meteorites, Family Reunion

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 26 16:01:39 2005

Hello list and Bob,

First, I would like to start off by giving a salute to Bob Vernish for his
work at Wilcox Playa, and for his willingness to share information. Most
people are reluctant sharing find or possible find information. As Vernish
has shown, he is not. Several of Vernish's Meteorite Times column have
featured information on the Wilcox Playa meteorites and the area. I think
its safe to say, that in the process, Vernish has discovered, at least one
more Arizona strewn field. I will note, Wilcox has been hunted
unsuccessfully many times and by many people. Do how big is the strewn
field or strewn fields? My obvious concern is more on the H5-6 meteorites.
I am betting it won't be that much, but I am also better their are other
pieces out there. How much? Perhaps Bob will be able to answer these
questions in a couple of years.

Paired meteorites Wilcox Playa 003 and Wilcox Playa 005, have been
re-united. "Wilcox 05" will appear in the next Meteoritical Bulliten, and
because of the pairing, I feel I have a little move to follow Bob's lead,
and share more information on Wilcox Playa 003.

Wilcox Playa 003, is the second or three meteorites, that I am aware of,
that was offered on ebay, by the finder. Not counting any of us meteorite
people of course, or those shown the Gold Basin or/and Franconia strewn
fields. I will note that all three auctions, have been in the last year.
This is a great example, of because of the internet, finders are now more
price savy.

More information on how I got the meteorite, and a letter from the finder
can now be found in the first link below. For information on Wilcox Playa
005, you would do a little better, going to www.meteoritetimes.com, and
reading Bob's column there.

Wilcox Playa 003
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwilcox.html