[meteorite-list] Tektite, Parent Source of Quartz....Comet?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 27 10:50:46 2005

Hello IMCA and meteorite list members,

I am sure there are many flaws with this ideal, but how about the tektites
came from a comet hitting the earth. Quartz is formed with water, comets
have(?) large oceans/ocean of water. This also explains why tektites
appears to have broke up in a low orbit. Comet gets captured by earth,
swings around 187 times (why not) before it starts breaking up, then each
piece, hits earth at different revolutions, creating several tektite strewn
fields over a short period of time. Color and features of tektite, are half
decided by the target rock they hit. Most of these comet, quartz heavy,
meteoroids hit the same basic mantel, creating the classic black tektites.
In Indo-China, the most fell, hitting the same target rock, creating 4 or 5
overlapping strewn fields...answering the funny distribution there. Average
meteor here was only 3-4 km. and the craters created were possibly in
locations that would be hard to search. There are several military or past
military zones, these small craters could be in.

In North America, two meteoroids hit different target rock....we got
Georgiaites and Bediasites. Note that the North American meteoroids had the
same basic entry point and therefore created a strewn field almost in the
same pattern, making it appear to be one meteoroid.

The comet impactor, part quartz, and part what we would recognize as
meteorite, final break up happened over Australia, and we get 1000's of
button tektites. Weathering destroyed most of these.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com